On Reading Level
English I – Beyond
In English I, students take a journey through important concepts–the Unknown, Equality, Identity, Opportunity, and Understanding–to learn the foundations of communication and analysis. In each unit of the course, students explore a variety of STEM-related literature, including genre fiction, poetry, non-fiction, and speeches. Through the study of this writing, students hone their own skills in communication and analysis.
To facilitate engagement and academic responsibility, students are encouraged to make choices at different points in the course. Most notable is the novel unit, in which students must select their book from a list of titles available. This practice gives ownership to the student and places each learner in a position to develop a deeper appreciation of reading.
Additional Required Course Textbooks / Materials
Choose one of the following:
- Tuesdays with Morrie
- I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced
- Now Is the time for Running
- The Red Umbrella
- Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- Of Beetles and Angels: A Boy’s Remarkable Journey from a Refugee Camp to Harvard
- In the Time of Butterflies
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
- The Boy from Baby House 10
- Tasting the Sky: Palestinian Childhood